Wednesday 20 July 2016

light and decadent swiss roll




  Once upon a time I was interning in a bakery in Lagos, I learned quite a lot from them I must say, working in a professional bakery was a challenging experience but I did, talk about being on your feet all day and it wasn't even a paid job. I don't regret it anyways and I would probably do it again if the bakery wasn't so far from my house.
  One of the perks of working there was the fact that I got to taste a few of their new products ranging from blueberry muffins, cakes even bread..tho I'm not a fan of bread. One faithful day I saw two beautifully garnished Swiss roll logs, just sitting pretty on their trays and I couldn't take my eyes off them, "just a bite" was all I could think about. After a little while, I figured they weren't going to share so I walked away sadly. I got back to work, After a few minutes, I heard the bakery manager say "Please feel free to try out the Swiss rolls and let us know what you think", I was so excited but I contained it, I just slowly walked over to the table with others acting like I hadn't even seen the Swiss rolls, I grabbed a slice and it disappeared. Yup it melted in my mouth, I couldn't believe it. All I could think was"I have tried making Swiss rolls before now and they never tasted this good." but you know no one was going to share the recipe.
      Anyways all this happened last year...Fast forward to this year, I was watching TV and started craving something sweet, it happens like that, then I thought Swiss roll but not just any Swiss roll, the kind I had the previous year...Light, fluffy and decadent Swiss roll that just melts in your mouth.
  Of course I had made Swiss rolls in the past, the first time I tried it omg..I got the sponge right but my filling was the problem, I still had my fear of whipping cream(its when I don't whip my cream stiff enough out of fear of it breaking or I over whip it and it breaks anyway. p.s I still have that but I can control my cream better now). On this day, my cream broke apart I was a novice and I thought I could use it like that, I filled my sponge and the liquid just soaked the sponge and everything became a mess, Second time the sponge was not light but it was not so bad, at least we could eat it, the third try, I still had the same case of the heavy sponge then I decided to glaze it to make it look pretty but lets just say things didn't work out so I didn't try again.
  On this day, all I could think about was achieving the same texture. So I started researching  the whole morning and I finally found this recipe on washoku guide and something told me that was it, especially with the beautiful picture of the swiss rolls on their page. I decided to try it and I struck gold. I had achieved it, the best Swiss roll ever.

Lets get started, Here's what you'll need
For the sponge
3 eggs
80 grams of granulated sugar
60 grams of cake flour
20 grams of butter
20 grams of milk

For the filling
About a cup of  heavy cream
20-40 grams of powdered sugar
A dash of vanilla extract if you'd like

Now start by melting together your butter and milk

Measure 60grams of cake flour not 80 like the picture says. If you don't have cake flour, just do what I did, measure half a cup of all purpose flour and add 1 tablespoon of cornflour then sift together 5 times before using.


Now, no pictures because I forgot to take some but next you need to clean the bowl of your mixer properly, crack your eggs in the bowl and add in your sugar then warm them over a bowl of simmering water. mix them together until the sugar dissolves. Now get back to you mixer, attach the whisk attachment and whip up the eggs until stiff peaks form.

Now fold in your sifted flour little at a time with a rubber spatula, just folding gently



Fold until it has been properly mixed together then slowly add in your butter and milk mixture, fold properly and continue to fold for a while until your batter is shiny

By now, your batter should be ready. So go ahead and pour it onto a sheet cake pan. Now I didn't have a sheet cake pan when I made this so I just made one out of foil then put it on my oven tray.
   Next thing to do is to spread the batter evenly then tap the tray on the kitchen counter about 3 times to let out air bubbles then bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for about 6-8 minutes.

Now flip your sponge unto a piece of parchment paper that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar to avoid it sticking. you can try to scrape off the brown bits, I certainly tried but go tired so I decided to leave it alone. Its not like it was going to show anyway.

Now whip your cream or buy already whipped cream and fill your sponge with it, this next part is crucial and I also forgot to take pictures but I will try to explain comprehensively.
   Start from end close to you, using the shorter length of the sponge, spread a layer of cream on your sponge but leave about half an inch of space along the borders. Now pick up the sponge by the edge close to you and roll tightly kinda like rolling a sausage, then wrap tightly in cling film and refrigerate. Decorate as you'd like, I just piped on some leftover whipped cream and sprinkled on some chopped cherries.
Chill before you serve...Enjoy
 







No comments:

Post a Comment